Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Birdie

This is before India went global. On my very first trip abroad, my most coveted acquisition was an umbrella from James Smith and Sons, all for a princely sum of eleven pounds. I loved the unique wooden bird head it had for a handle. I held it with great pride and in a way which ensured that it was noticed. Everybody and anybody who travelled in the "ladies special" local had at one time or another commented on it. It was almost like holding a pet/baby in my arms which was coochicooed by others.

The umbrella served me well. Its just that the Mumbai rains took its toll. The umbrella itself is no longer functional but the bird head handle still fascinates me. This time round at the mall I observed many fancy umbrellas, mostly from China. But nothing to beat the bird head...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home